Thursday, March 25, 2010

Insidiousness

In an attempt to feel productive without actually having to do homework tonight, I decided to go through all of my old blog posts and fix grammatical errors. I think it takes skill to come up with a procrastination like that. I'm kind of glad I did it though. I used to have some pretty humorous things to say. Now I feel like I don't have anything to say. However, looking through my old posts, I realize I didn't really have a whole lot to say then either. They're all about the silly things that go through my head or about not-that-interesting-but-cleverly-narrated things that happen to me. Silly things still go through my head and not-that-interesting things still happen to me quite frequently. I enjoy writing and need a creative outlet for it or I'll lose it, so in the future I promise I will try to remember all the silly things I think and experience so you, my dear reader, might have a little bit of entertainment.

We'll start off the silliness with a description of my Applied Climatology class this morning. We are talking about how climate affects agriculture, and one of the topics was drought. There is a type of drought called an invisible drought. It's like what happens in July when you get a little bit of rain every day, so you think you're doing fine, but actually the amount of rain you're getting is less than the amount of evaporation taking place so the drought is "insidious." The professor went on to define the word insidious for us. He said that to a lot of people it has big, destructive, evil connotations, but in actuality it just means it creeps up on you, "like too big underwear on a 20 mile hike."

2 comments:

Mississippi Girl said...

Best quote I heard all week.

Mrs.H said...

The sound you hear is me laughing!