Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bonne Halloween!

For the past two days, French class has been dedicated solely to Halloween. Yesterday we were given a list of French Halloweeny words and told to pair up and write a Halloween story. D.J.'s and mine was about a witch (une sorciere) named Miranda that got drunk on pumpkin beer (citrouille biere) one night and fell off her broom (balai) into a cemetery (cimetiere) and died (mort). She is now a ghost (fantome).

Today we were given this worksheet (<-- look left) and told to complete it. It was incredibly difficult, I assure you. Especially with the answer so cleverly marked out at the bottom ( look right --> and down v (I have no down arrow so a "v" will have to suffice)). We were then given very Halloweeny orange fortune cookies (that were even nastier than regular fortune cookies if that is at all possible) with French Halloween fortunes inside. Mine said, "Passe une belle Halloween! Bonne chasse aux friandises!" It means, "Have a great Halloween! Happy trick-or-treating!"

Here are a few more of the fortunes. Consider them my Halloween gift to you (since cyber candy isn't very tasty). You can use them to impress all your non-French friends.

Bonne Halloween! C'est un jour EPATANT!
Je le sens jusque dans mes os!
(Happy Halloween! It's a scary day! I feel it in my bones!)

L'Halloween, c'est l'occasion de changer
d'apparence et de hanter la nuit.
(Halloween is the occasion to change your
appearance and haunt the night.)

Offre-toi un plaisir MONSTRE pour l'Halloween!
(Have yourself a monstrously pleasant Halloween!)

2 comments:

Mrs.H said...

I wanted to say "Happy Halloween to you, too" so I typed it into a translator that gave me this: Veille de la toussaint heureuse à vous, aussi..
which didn't look very Halloweeny to me so I translated it back and found that it really says: Take care of happy All Saints' day of you, too.

The perils of computer generated translations....

Unknown said...

It's probably because they don't use the word "happy" to say Happy Halloween. Bonne is actually "good." I think "Bonne Halloween, aussi" would work though. I'm not sure how work in the "to you" but you would use the "tu" form of you instead of "vous" anyway because we've met, unless you just wanted to be really formal for no reason. Maybe "Bonne Halloween a tu, aussi." But don't quote me on it.