Monday, November 24, 2008

Okolona! Where the wind goes sweeping through the atmosphere?

I assume everyone knows what I'm talking about when I say radar. Not just the images they show on TV, but the actual instrument. Big, white, round thing on a tower. Usually at airports. Kind of looks like a volley ball. If you're still clueless, here's a picture: Anyway, the ones that they use for the images on TV do not point up. The ones that are pointed directly upward just measure the wind speeds and directions up in the atmosphere. This is pretty handy for forecasting; however, the state of Mississippi only has one that does this and it is located in Okolona. Why, I ask you?

4 comments:

tank said...

And just where is Okolona?

Unknown said...

That's exactly my point. I don't even know. What makes it so special?

Mrs.H said...

about 35 miles north of Starkville on 45 is Okolona. Is the the one in the picture pointing up or not? How can you tell? I've seen the one at the Mobile airport and knew it was radar, but didn't know about the directionality.

Unknown said...

Well if that's middle of nowhere Okolona, Mississippi it's pointing up. I honestly don't know how you tell, and I didn't know about directionality either until this morning when my teacher mentioned it. I'll see if I can find out.