Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Cowbell for Colin

Colin Powell was at State tonight to speak in a leadership conference. Some friends of mine were going to get bonus points for a class, so I decided I would go as well. I mean, how many times in your life do you get to see Colin Powell in person? (I suppose if you're the president or a foreign diplomat or his wife that answer would be a lot, but forget about all those people.) Before he began his speech our interim president stepped up to the podium and said (in the most southern southern drawl I've ever heard), "How many of y'all out there are Bulldawgs?" I don't suppose I've ever actually seen this guy before, but he is a perfect president for our school. He could be an actual bulldog. If Mississippi State was Hogwarts, he would be an Animagus, and his animal would be a bulldog. If you don't believe me, just look at him. He even has a slightly bulldogish name: Vance.

After our Animagus president spoke, Sylvester spoke, and then it was time for the man of the hour: General Colin L. Powell, himself. I was afraid that he was going to be a little dull, and the most I would get out of it would be the ability to say I'd seen him in person. I was completely wrong. He's a pretty funny guy. He said the thing he misses most about being Secretary of State is the jet. Shortly after he retired, he had to fly somewhere, so a friend had to talk him through how normal people get plane tickets. You have to park your car in the garage, walk to the airport, buy your ticket and then go find the correct terminal. They do not roll out a red carpet for ordinary people. Once he had his instructions, he said he followed them very carefully, only he made three mistakes: he was running late, he paid in cash, and he had no luggage. He very shortly found himself surrounded by security personnel doing a very thorough job of searching every inch of him. He said he was bewildered and slightly annoyed until he realized that he had helped put those procedures in place.

I had no idea that Colin Powell is as old as he is. He is 71. He doesn't look it at all. According to Time magazine he is one of the top 5 gracefully aging men. He's actually number two, right in front of Robert Redford. I didn't think Robert Redford was aging that gracefully (I mean have you seen his skin? It looks like it's made from leather that came off of someone's very well worn cowboy boots.), so I don't know if it's a compliment to be only one in front of him, but anyway, the point was Colin Powell doesn't seem like a 71 year old. He recently bought a Corvette and says he recommends them to everyone. The police in his town were not that happy with his decision, but he enjoys every minute of it.

Now I don't want to give the wrong impression. The conference wasn't all fun and games. We really learned a lot. For instance, I bet you didn't know that the prime minister of Japan is an Elvis fan, did you? He is also a big fan of the New York Yankees.

After Mr. Powell was done speaking, Vance the Bulldog came back up to the podium and presented him with his very own engraved cowbell, which he proceeded to ring, although you couldn't hear it over the whistles and screams from the crowd. Hooray for Colin Powell and Bulldawgs everywhere!

P.S. I figured I'd leave you with one last picture (now that I know how). Colin Powell isn't the only famous MSU cowbell ringer. Apparently William Wallace/Mel Gibson has one too!

3 comments:

Mrs.H said...

This is a priceless post!

Yes, I did know about the Elvis fetish of the former Japanese Prime Minister. Probably one reason he was defeated.

I hope Vance doesn't have secret police, because you'll be on their list, babe!

tank said...

Whoa. Mr. Vance REALLY does looks like a bulldog!

Unknown said...

I meant it in the most loving way possible though.