Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Up Early

For some reason that I cannot explain, I woke up at 7:00 this morning. Wednesday is a lazy day for me because class doesn't start until 12, so when I saw what time the clock read, I rolled over and attempted to go back to sleep. I was unsuccessful. I figured since I was up and there was apparently nothing I could do about it, I might as well do something worthwhile with this extra time, so I decided to catch up on my Bible reading because I've fallen a little behind the past few weeks. I am glad I did (did decide to catch up, that is, not fall behind in the first place.) because I ran across this verse in Romans, "God doesn't count us; he calls us by name. Arithmetic is not his focus." For some reason this struck me as funny. I actually laughed out loud (luckily my roommate has an early class so she had already left). I had an odd mental image of God bending over a desk doing my Differential Equations homework. I suppose this vision was brought on by a combination of relief that my first D.E. test, which was yesterday, is over (I spent most of the weekend doing just what I'd pictured God doing, only with most likely not nearly as much success) and sleep deprivation because my crazy body decided to get up way before it needed to, but whatever the cause, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

And to show you that I do have a spiritual side and am not all weird visions, isn't it nice to know that we're not just another number to God? Everyone likes to be called by name (unless of course you were unfortunate enough to be named something like Festus or Algernon and then I totally understand if you'd rather not be called by name) because it makes us feel special, like someone truly cares about us if they take the time to find out what our names are. To think that the God of the universe who has a million other things He could be doing took the time to learn them and call them rather than reverting to arithmetic is a really cool thought.

1 comment:

tank said...

You've been tagged. I hope I beat your mom to it! ;)
http://tanksgetaway.blogspot.com/2009/02/tagged.html